Friday, January 23, 2015

UI/UX Workshop

Wow. Finally, it's time to update my blogs. Hahahaha... It just seems like I've only been update my blog (in English) once in a blue moon?? 

Haha, well, lets talk about DECEMBER 2014. (giggle giggle..) 

Well.. yeap, the big stuff that happened in last DECEMBER (20&21) is ------- The workshop for UI/UX organized by TribeHired.

Alright, the TribeHired team came to my uni and had a session with most of the final year student. Guess what? TribeHired is HELPING PEOPLE TO GET HIRED. Sound nice right? Haha... Well, out of a blue, I too try my luck to see which path I'll be redirect to. Haha... And yeap, I register for their interview session and so on.. 

It's really a different experience where you had an interview session with the CEO and then after the interview session, they will record a video of you (Intro of yourself, interest, product (Your design, coding, maybe? Just anything that put yourself into advantage). Well, the best part is, the interview session is kinda like OPEN interview session where anyone can just listen and see your presentation. HA-HA-HA. Kinda awkward though. =X 

Till now, I still remember how me and my friend actually spoke and present ourselves out during the interview. Haha, it's quite funny to listen to other's opinion and look at the way they express themselves. HEHEHE.... and it's also funny for other people to look at you, presenting yourself.. Hahaha.. FAIR AND SQUARE. 

Well, what I still remember during the interview session is.. Just relax and yeah be yourself. The team' are actually quite cool people. Casual style, be comfortable at your own way. 
I still remember what I did with my speaking during the interview is --- "KEEP THING SIMPLE." 
I don't like answering question nor explaining but in an interview, that's what it is right? Haha.. then, make it simple, straight to the point. No funny funny story or experiences. LOL... What I meant is, I just got that feeling of "YEAH, THAT'S ME, YEAH, I DID THIS. YEAH. THAT'S HOW THE THING IS ALL ABOUT. OK. NICE. DONE". 

Or maybe.. Just maybe... before my interview start, my friend went to spoke about his experiences all. and upon hearing his presentation/bla bla bla.. I just feel like - well, bro.... I guess, you're speaking too much, it's tiring to hear your experience when you're not speaking confidently. Haha.. that's may be one of the reasons I got affected and don't wanna do much talking. 

OK, enough with all those interview stories. and then after days/weeks, I received their call and guess what, I AM SELECTED FOR THEIR UI/UX WORKSHOP! So lucky huh? YEAP. IT IS. ONLY 5 people were selected for the workshop! and yeap, I am one of the lucky one. HA-HA. Happy go LUCKY!

The workshop is held for 2 days by Arman Attarzadeh

DAY 1 - we get to learn about the basic concept of design and then, based on the question we luckily PICKED, we were to draw wire-frames for it. 

I got the question for -- "Draw a splash page for an apps that allow you to buy groceries based on what you want to cook."
Well, I got a moment of lucky and confuse when I got this question. Lucky cause I din't get the hardest question among the 5 question. (Haha, being a turtle here.)  Well, SPLASH PAGE? Something new as I thought there will only be one category in terms of designing a webpage which is DESIGN A WEBSITE. HA-HA. How's a website is different from a splash page? (GOOGLE IT. U'll get all the info you want from Google). Hahaha... 

Then, we got the whole day learning new concept/ design element and draw our wire-frames.. Well, I really learn alot during designing the wire-frames. In the beginning, I just be like typical girl with NO IDEAS.. I don't know how to start.. I guess, most of the typical people always get stuck before they start. HA-HA. Just like how I wrote my assignment, always begin with few hours of blank pages until the submission is near.. Then something will pop out from my brain eventually. Haha. The power of PRESSURE huh? hahaha... 

Well, will you thought drawing wire-frames will be easy? Well Well Well... yes, it's easy but it's not as well. Why? Haha, because you'll have to keep changing until it's finalize. Yeap, that's crazy. For me, I guess Arman just be like: "Err.hmm.." when looking at my wire-frames. HAHAHA. Typical and simple not creative at all. But then still, he is so cool to say that: "Well, it's ok to be simple, try to think more about the layout and why you want to put it that way. Think about the needs and the goal."

Then Arman share his ideas and thoughts when looking at each of our wire-frames. Then after hours and hours, a final product of wire-frames is produced. Haha.. I got so unused to my wire-frames cause it's really not the way I usually used to design for in terms of the layouts alignment style bla bla... But yeah, Arman look at my wire-frames with different point of view and saying it's good. Well, I guess, holding on what you only know will not keep you improve. Since it's a UI/UX Workshop.. So, designing is not just about the UI Side right? Haha... 

Then one of the funniest moment I still remember is the TAB DISCUSSION. HAHAHA.. In my uni, I learnt that you should design at least 5-7 tabs (navigation menu) in a webpage. But then looking at my wireframes, there is only 3 tab after the evaluation made by Arman! Omg. Haha.. I start to doubt thinking that, hmm... this is not what I've learnt in the university. and guess what, Arman laugh and told us "well, that's outdated, your uni been teaching you using things that is 20-30 years ago... You don't put stuff that you don't need in your webpage, just put the main and useful one. The important one for the UX." Haha.. And guess what -- So..... that's means... My whole life was just a lie??? So what I've been listening carefully in the lecture, pass the module with flying colors was just... a lie? LOL... Dear uni, you should update concept and syllabus now. Haha. We've have been paying too much for the fees to learn stuff that are 20-30 years back useful not now. LOL... $$$$$$$$$....

And yeap, we're done for DAY 1.
Then DAY 2, start designing webpage based on our wire-frames. Haha.. 
I must to say the cool software we used to design. It's not about Microsoft Web Expression but it's about cool open source - BOOTSTRAP (by Twitter), PINGENDO and BRACKETS. 

I love all of these applications. It's so easy and you can design cool webpage with it!

But guess what, I faced a problem when Arman told us to write our CSS at the end of day 2. Haha, I got like STUNT for a moment.. It's my first time to write my own CSS despite the fact that I've designed a website for my client before. Well, Google do gives references to everyone to some works of others...Haha.. Opps... blame Google? HAHAHAHA. 
Well, lucky that other friends who join this workshop are really good in programming, they are all familiar with writing codes and CSS stuff. Hahaha... I get help from them and of cox, from Arman too. Haha...

and YEAP, DONE FOR DAY 2.

What I've learnt in this workshop definitely something new for me especially in terms of UX. (User Experience). Nowadays, it's not about designing just a simple webpages anymore, it's all about - what this website is all about and why is the functionality is exist in there? Does it match the objectives of the website??

Arman shared a post in our facebook group and yeap -- It's definitely what UI/UX is about now and it's useful for the new age designing! Check it out - http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240607

At the end of the session, Arman then told us that the splash page/website that we are designing according to our question actually does exist in real life! He then show us how the company/designer design it. and guess what -- We just blackout. Haha, they are just too great.. too good to be compared with our newbie skill. Haha... 

The photo below is the outcomes of mine after the 2 days workshop. Logo on the top left was just my own assumption and design for the use of this splash page.

Part 1 / Upper part of the SPLASH PAGE. The main objectives. 

Part 2 / Bottom part of the page. Review design was added on later as I thought it would be useful since it's about an apps and people will wants to see the review, Maybe? It was not design in my wire-frames earlier. Haha... 

Then, lets see the actual/professional website for the company.

STUNNING RIGHT?! ABSOLUTELY. 
 Check out their webpage at: http://www.blueapron.com/


Last, before ending my blog update... I've found an article worth reading for especially for youngster. hahaha Check this out: http://www.businessinsider.my/dima-korolev-career-2014-8/?utm_content=bufferc14c9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Tada~

That's its for today's blog update.

Goodnight worlds! Till the next update, see you! (if there is any readers. Haha!!) 

No comments: